Monday, January 11, 2010

Hook



"I think that when it comes right down to it, the choices I've made in life weren't so bad after all," these words keep running through my mind as I drive along these roads, watching the scenery fly by the windows of the car. My daughter playing in the backseat, laughing as her father tickles her toes and makes funny faces at her over the back of his seat. I smile to myself as I watch her in the mirror for a few seconds, her eyes a perfect reflection of mine, her beautiful blond hair shining in the light. As I bring my eyes back to the road, I begin to pick familiar landscapes out of the overgrown surroundings. My eyes land on a spot that I used to go to with friends, the little trail nearly hidden in the underbrush. I turn to the man at my side and ask with a hopeful smile if we could take a walk down it one last time with our daughter as I pull off to the edge of the road. With a nod, he unbuckles our life and picks her up, tickling her for a moment before placing her on his shoulders with a grin, his hands gripping her ankles gently. I start leading them down the little path to the cliff he and I went to as our first date, holding the branches out of their way. My little Carleigh laughs and claps her hands over his head as the view comes into sight. Her eyes widening with each step as we move to the stone benches that sit about ten feet from the edge. "Carleigh, sweetie, I don't want you to go too close to the edge okay? Stay close to us," I tell her with a smile. Her eyes light up and she nods brightly before looking around for rocks, placing them in a pile before choosing only the prettiest ones she can find. She smiles as she starts tossing the rest into the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment